Friday, April 07, 2006

Hurray for J.K Rowling!

OK, this is not going to be an 'isn't Harry potter just great!' rant, but an at last someone actually saying the right thing about our overly weight obbsessed society rant..... If you have not read her recent comments then go to her site, www.jkrowling.com and under extra stuff read 'For girls only, probably....' Its all about how the media glorifys the images of emaciated models and 'talking toothpicks' (love that line!) that fill all those god awful magazines that so many girls read. I also love her commments about those celebrities whose only function is to 'support the trade in overpriced handbags and rat sized dogs' and whose greatest achievement is getting photographed in as many different outfits a day as possible. I think its fantastic that someone who has the ear of so many young girls is saying something positive and helpful, rather than offering them tips on make-up and how to make boys like you.

I'm not going to go on about this as I think she actually puts it really well, I'm just going to say have a read of it and take heart from the fact that some people do value brains and personality above weight.... (Oh and before anyone points out that I am actually rather skinny and it's all very easy for me, it's only cos I have got a genetic disorder that prevents me digesting fat, which believe you me is not a useful diet mechanism but a total pain in the neck).

No comments: