Thursday, March 21, 2013

Going round in circles, crocheting as I go!


I must admit to an overwhelming sense of deja vu... I am pretty much exactly back to where I was in October (after I had my first rubbish sample of some sort of micro bacterium), waiting to get some other sort of result that would give enough evidence to justify me being incarcerated at Papworth for three weeks and starting a massive regime of drugs to treat said micro bacterium.  This time they have at least identified the type of micro bacterium, but the doctors still are very wary of starting me on this unpleasant roller-coaster of drugs.  I can see why its such a hard decision, I really don't want to have to do these extra drugs, but it does rather leave me back in limbo- again!  So, I am trying not to worry and fret myself into a total mental collapse and hoping that either I get a nice obvious reason to do all this stuff or that the various teams involved decide that I am not colonised and can still be assessed for transplant when I need it... Like I said in the last post, I'm not good at waiting...

I find that one of the best ways of distracting my troublesome brain is to keep my hands busy.  I've just had another two weeks of what might be called 'normal' IVs, to treat the pseudomonas that regularly upsets my lungs.  These drugs won't treat the micro bacterium, so they should not be affecting the results of the samples I am sending off.  Whilst I'm on them tho I do feel rather like I've been run over by a steam roller and am just knackered.  This gives me far too much time to brood and worry, so I've been keeping myself busy with more crochet and also more embroidery designing with the new software and machine I've got (more on that later when I've got the hang of it!).  I've been gradually crocheting a blanket made of hexagons for several years now... I do a few here and then stop for a bit to do other things, then I come back and do a few more.  Well this dose of IVs I decided to get it a to a point where I could stat putting it together but can can still add more hexagons on later.  I've now got at least 12 of each of the nine colours and will be starting to crochet them all together with white yarn as I've worked out a layout I am happy with.
Many, many hexagons to be joined together.

Because I tend to get bored with repeating the same shape and colours, I have also been working on a yarn-eater blanket, to try and use up some of the yarn scraps I've had hanging around taking up space.  I really like making granny squares so that was an obvious choice. I was rather inspired by a blanket made by my great-grandmother which is made in amazingly bright colours, in clashing combinations that I really love.  So I decided to do a version using slightly smaller squares, only three rounds in different colours.  So far I've done nearly 50 squares and as you can see it's very bright and over the top!  I like the fact that the individual motifs are so quick to make, so you can just knock one up whilst having a cup of tea and have something to show for it immediately.  I will carry on making loads of squares until I run out of colour combinations, then will join them altogether with black.  If I get stuck in Papworth for three weeks I think I could manage an awful lot of crochet...




1 comment:

Me said...

Those look amazing! I can only knit and I'm working on my own blanket made of squares but its not half as impressive as yours! x